Garden Pic Wednesday: Pinterest Gardening Ideas

Since having a Pinterest board, I've discovered it's a boon of wonderful gardening & landscaping ideas or home-made pest remedies.

So, below are some things I've found on Pinterest that I'm either trying or interested in trying:

  New From Old
Did you know you can re-grow Romaine from the stump?

 Just cut it off, put it in 1/2 inch of water, which you change daily, and, voila, eventually new leaves!
It will grow roots, too.
Mine are currently showing evidence of new leaves.
I've read you can either use the young leaves off the stump in water or it can be planted to grow a new head.
I'm considering planting, if roots develop.
 


         Get More Peppers with Epsom Salt
      In a spray bottle: add 1/2 teaspoon and fill bottle with warm water. Shake and spray on peppers once they start blooming. Reapply in 10 days, then periodically through-out productivity.
I've used this on my bells and they're loaded with peppers now, so this works!


Milk Cure for Powdery Mildew

This is on my list of things to try.
Apparently it's the protein in milk that kills the mildew.
Spray melon and squash leaves with a mix of milk and water in a sprayer, about 1/3 milk to 2/3 water.
Any kind of milk will do. You have to apply it early on, before powdery mildew sets in.  I haven't had much luck stopping powdery mildew once it's taken hold even with a commercial fungicide. Prevention is the best medicine.



Rain Garden
This is on my "will do" list.
 I never heard of this before seeing some on Pinterest, but it's exactly what I need!
A rain garden is a way of working with your landscape and how rain water flows through it.
Basically, it's setting up plants that like their roots in really wet in a certain location in order to help absorb run-off rain water.

 In my case, I have two spots in my lawn that tend to pool water and a rain garden would be an ideal solution! 
*******
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mama Kat Prompt Thursday: 5 Comforting Things

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Crafts!

Good Eating Monday: Peach Cobbler Dump Cake!

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Thursday: Quotables