Good Eating Monday: Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner!

I'm actually trying this recipe as I write---it's in the slow cooker now:
Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner!
I like cooking two things at once and I love meat-loaf and not having to use my oven to make it.
I omitted all the onion powder, since I don't keep any on hand.
Instead I added minced garlic and dried basil to my meat-loaf, because I like more flavor, and stirred dried Rosemary in with the potatoes instead of using cheese.

I'll give you the recipe as-is and you can make you own taste adjustments.


Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner
Ingredients:

1 lb lean ground beef (90% lean)
2 large eggs

1/4 cup catsup
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

15 saltine crackers, crushed
 (or, instead of saltines, sub the equivalent, about 1/2  cup of either bread crumbs or quick oats or a little more, as needed.)
1/4 cup catsup
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
15 saltine crackers, crushed
 (or, instead of saltines, sub the equivalent, about 1/2  cup of either bread crumbs or quick oats or a little more, as needed.)

For the Potatoes
4 small russet potatoes, sliced
1/2 cup sliced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 Tablespoons melted butter
1 cup shredded sharp cheese (added at end to melt on top of potatoes)

Directions:
Spray inside of slow-cooker with oil spray. Or use a liner. Turn on Low to heat up.

Meatloaf:
In medium bowl, combine all meatloaf ingredients just enough to be well combined, then shape into a small oblong loaf and place on one side of slow cooker.

Potatoes:
Make a "bowl" out of foil for potatoes and place this in slow-cooker on other side of meatloaf. About 12 to 16 inches of foil.
Spray with oil spray to reduce sticking.

In a medium bowl: add sliced potatoes, onion, seasoning and toss together to combine. Drizzle with melted butter and toss again to coat.
Pour potatoes into foil inside slow cooker.

Cook:
Cover slow cooker with lid. Set to cook on Low for 5 hours.
DO NOT LIFT LID AGAIN UNTIL COOKING TIME IS UP.
If you're using cheese, add at end and cover for 5 minutes to let melt.
(I just use my oven timer, since my cooker doesn't have a timer.)

*****
Results:
 Here's my photo of the meal after cooking.
 (the top photo was with the recipe)
The meatloaf was fantastic, but the sliced potatoes did NOT

get completely done & tender. I think the foil gets in the way of heat.
Being lean, the beef didn't hardly leave any grease behind.
I may try the general idea without foil next time, but use whole new potatoes instead. 

If you use the foil, make sure it's not too tall, so heat will circulate better. Just use regular foil, too. I happened to have a piece of heavy duty needing to be used, which is a bit thicker, and that may have contributed to blocking heat.

Comments

Oh my, this looks and sounds so delicious! I am going to have to try it one of these days. My family loves meat loaf - almost as much as I love potatoes!

Kim

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories