Good Eating Monday: Easy Mexican Casserole

Today's recipe: Easy Mexican Casserole
I found it on Pinterest in a collection of Weight Watchers Casseroles and tried it because I liked the recipe.
But it wasn't Weight Watchers anymore once I got my hands on it, because I didn't think a 1/3 cup smidgen of cheese on top was near enough---so used a whole bag (1 1/2 cups) 2% Milk Mexican Cheese Blend! 
(Might as well. I didn't have any other use for it.)
I always find these sorts of recipes calling for "8 Corn Tortillas."  I've never found Corn Tortillas packaged in "8." Ever.
I had a choice of 10 or 30. I chose the 10 pack and for a 10 x 13 pan, 10 worked perfectly!
I also used light sour cream instead of fat-free and for diced tomatoes I had on hand a can of Mexican diced tomatoes with Green Chili's added, which was a plus.
I also used Ground Sirloin, which very lean and makes next to no grease during browning. 
The original recipe was super spicy with a lot of jalapeno, but Hubby doesn't like too spicy, so I skipped the jalapeno and I just added an extra teaspoon of Chili Powder instead.

Easy Mexican Casserole
Ingredients:
1 lb extra lean beef
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes 
1 (11oz) Mexican corn, drained
1 (15oz) can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 package Taco Seasoning (choose spicy, reg or mild)
3/4 cup non-fat sour cream
1/3 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
10 Corn Tortillas

If you want it extra spicy:
Use 1/4 cup minced jalapeno pepper

Decorative Options:
Minced Cilantro or diced green onions

Directions
Oil Spray a 10 x 13 baking pan or dish. Preheat oven to 350.

Cut the Corn Tortillas in half: 10 halves for bottom of pan and 10 halves for second layer. Arrange the first 10 halves on the pan bottom so it's mostly covered.

In skillet: brown meat and onions. Once meat is browned and onions tender, add tomatoes, drained corn, beans and taco seasoning pack and mix together. (Add minced jalapenos here, too, if you're using them.)  Simmer 5 minutes.

Now spoon 1/2 of meat mixture over first layer of corn tortilla halves in pan.

Then spoon sour cream over the meat mixture and smooth out over meat mixture so it's roughly evenly covered. (If you dot with small dollops all over, this works easier)

Top sour cream with remaining 10 corn tortilla halves, then rest of 
meat mixture, spreading it evenly.

The original directions said bake it 25 minutes, then add cheese and return to over for 5 minutes to melt, but I put my cheese on it right away and baked it with the cheese and that was just fine. So do it your way.

Serve topped with decorative options, like cilantro or green onions and salsa and chips on the side!
*****

I served this to guest and they loved it! The sour cream layer in the middle makes this Mexican Casserole different from others.
And it was very simple to put together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories