Mama Kat Thursday: My "Where I'm From" Poem

Today's Mama Kat I chose is a writing exercise called,"The Where I'm From" Poem that had a template with blanks to fill in, something like a Mad Lib.
It called a lot of descriptive phrases instead of single nouns and adjectives.
If you want to take a swing at writing you own, 
here's the Template

My 'Where I'm From" Poem

I am from books and from Hershey Kisses
From the deep woods of the Midwest with a valley and a creek burbling through it, full of pretty stones.
I'm from German Iris and wild Dutchmen's Britches.
I'm from Christmas stockings pinned to chairs, waiting to filled and artistic talents from Robbin's and Eaton's, tall, fair with green or blue eyes.
I'm from the scent of my Dad's pipe tobacco and drawers and drawers of Mother's colorful sewing fabric.
I'm from "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride," and "isn't this a colorful meal?"
I'm from dressing up for Easter Sunday to go to church and, afterwards, enjoying home-made pancakes with melted brown-sugar syrup.
I'm from Hoosier cornfields and Colby cheese and warm Chocolate Pudding Cake.
I'm from a Dad who built our home from scratch and a Mom who gardened and canned.
I'm from long bus rides to school, sewing my own clothes and camping.
I'm from memories saved on vintage movie reels moved to modern video to be cherished anew, so we can remember when we were young.



Thanks for Visiting

Comments

KatBouska said…
Wow! I love this SO much! Crazy how much you learn about a person just by asking them to fill in the lines of the same poem template. Beautiful!
Cathy Kennedy said…
You did a furtastic job using the poem template! I really wanted to do this but my creative mojo wasn't having any part of penning the words to fit properly, so I abandoned the notion to go with the prompt that I did. You painted such a beautiful scene of your life. Thanks for sharing and for visiting. Have a good weekend!
Patty said…
Just lovely! A terrific response to this prompt!

The ending grabbed me, having just been up in our attic and looking at a box of old movie reels. Somewhere up there is an old projector belonging to my parents. Now I'm on a mission to find it and watch old memories with my grandkids.

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects

The Imaginary Party Outfit for the Imaginary Party