Mama Kat Thursday: A Minor Obsessioni

Today's Mama Kat prompt I've chosen is, "Write something that begins and ends with, "I hope it stays that way."

As Hubby and I walked away from the display table of shirts and ties at J.C. Penney's, I hoped they'd stay that way...
You see, what happened is, a couple weeks ago, we were just walking around in J.C. Penney's when we passed a display table on the outer edge of the men's section showing off a selection of men's dress shirts in multiple colors and on top of those shirts about random 7 ties some store worker had apparently put there for a nice effect---but it wasn't nice. The tie colors and shirts they'd been laid on were completely mismatched!
The disparity caught my eye as I almost walked by, but drew me back to try and fix it.
I can't stand seeing a mis-matched shirt and tie. If a guy walks in a room with a bad tie choice, I'll notice.
So I stood there at the display table, moving those ties around, trying to match them more properly.  And not just me, Hubby was helping. He doesn't like uncoordinated ties, either.
It was like a game: switch the tie.
I recall there was a yellow tie with a fine black pattern imprinted on it laying on teal shirt we moved to a black shirt and a white tie with blue stripes on a green shirt that we moved to a plain blue shirt and so on.
Once we got the ties all more suitably matched, we went our way, me hoping they'd stay that way.
****
True story.
So, here
's the general rule of thumb for ties: 
1) The tie should match the base color of the shirt.
2) Print ties on plain color shirts
3) Plain ties on print shirts.
4) There is a pattern-on-pattern rule for ties, but the tie, in that case, must always match the base color of the shirt; not contrast it.
So, for that rule, the red checked shirt on top of the stack in the picture with the plaid tie is acceptable.
******
 There's good and bad matches exampled in the stack in the photo above: What's your vote?

Thanks for Visiting!

Comments

I love print on print, but you are absolutely right; it must be done correctly. I admire your (and hubby's) dedication to righting their wrong, though...I doubt I could have spent time fixing their mistake!

Kim

Popular posts from this blog

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Writers Prompt Thursday: Cosplay Dress Up

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Thursday: May Flowers!

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!