Mama Kat Thursday: Shocking Experience

The blog writing prompt I'm doing today for Mama Kat is one from the general list of October prompts. It asks the question, "Have I ever visited a farm?"

When I was a little girl of about 10 , while we were visiting Grandma & Grandpa in Minnesota, I remember visiting a farm.
It may have been the farm our Grandpa owned that he leased. Or maybe relatives. I don't remember, though I do recall our whole family driving there in the car. With the Grands, too, I think. 

It was a working farm with cows and horses and fields.
There was the farm house and, nearby, a large barn with a rail fence partially enclosing a barnyard area that was empty, though the ground had the bare and straw-spattered look of having been used at some point.

I remember the farm family had a couple young daughters around our age and they guided us through the barn and through the empty barnyard off someplace to show us something.
What I remember most vividly, however, is the return trip back through the barnyard.  The farm girls were in the lead, followed by my sisters and I was bringing up the rear further behind.
Now the entry between the fenced barnyard and the barn was a wide empty space of around 10 feet with a post right in the center and we had to go back through this space and through the barn to get back to the farm house.

The farm girls up ahead, walkedthrough the space on the left of the center post, though, to me, it seemed a wider circuit when it would've been a straighter path to simply walk through the space on the right of the post.
I didn't know why they didn't, but decided I was going to take straight path and walk through the "empty" space to the right of the center post. It just seem more sensible.
Big mistake.
What the farm girls knew that I didn't was that there was an electric fence wire on that side. 
It was so thin, I couldn't even see it. I just walked smack into it and it zinged me a good one, holding me in "electric suspension" for a second or two.
(Considering it was set for big cow; not human girl.)
I remember feeling frozen, unable to move. The wire was at stomach height and I was just sorta stuck on it.
Since I was trailing behind everyone else, what I was up to wasn't immediately noticed.
Then, suddenly, I got free of the wire, stumbled backwards and fell flat on my butt in the dirt, stunned.

Of course, the farm girls and my sisters all ran back to help me up. 

So, that was my first and last encounter with an electric fence on my first and mostly last farm visit.
(And no, the farm girls didn't point the electric fence out. Avoiding it was so automatic for them, they wouldn't think of it, I suppose.) 



Thanks for Visiting.

Comments

Oh, goodness, that seems like it would have been really painful! Quite the adventure, though. I have lived out in the country/rural areas most of my life, but never on a farm. Even when we raised pigs when I was younger, it wasn't a farm - just a garden and pig pen. And later, when my stepdad had a few cows, they were in a rented pasture.

Kim
KatBouska said…
Ouch! I once grabbed a hot wire as an adult for funsies and was surprised at how powerful it was. I can't imagine running smack dab into it at stomach height!

Popular posts from this blog

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories

The Imaginary Party Outfit for the Imaginary Party

Mama Kat Thursday: My Top 10 Favorite Chocolate Treats!