Growing up in Indiana, my family lived about 45 miles SW of Indianapolis way out in the country during the 1960's & 70's. We had a black land-line phone like the one pictured. It was a party-line, meaning about a half dozen neighbors shared the same phone line. You could pick up the receiver and hear someone chatting away and, if you did, you just hung up to wait till the line was clear to make your own call. That may have been between 1963 & 1966, because sometime after everyone started having their own private lines. Believe it or not, most everyone had just one phone until the late 60's when it became trendy to have more then one phone, which meant you to have the phone company put in a land-line connection in every room you wanted an additional phone in. Teens started being able to have their own phone in their rooms, if family's could afford it, so they could talk to friends. That lasted thru the 70's. Imagine, back then, if you made an appointment or ...
Zazzle is an American Printing Company that offers print-on-demand products with designs either created by free lance artists ready for you to buy that may allow you to customize photos or text OR be created by YOU! So today, I'm going to show you basic steps to using the Zazzle design tool, which works a little like Canva, to create your own Save The Date style card: #1) Select yout card template you want to use here: Zazzle Card Templates Shown is a 5 x 7 flat card that is popular. To the right, click the blue "Edit Your Image" button to open the Design Tool. #2) Now you're ready to design: First, what kind of background do you want? Red arrows point at either a plain color background option or a pre-designed color or print background? (all free) I added one of the pre-designed backgrounds. #3) Next, do you want to add clip art? Click the word "Icons' on left side bar to open this drop down menu indicated by red arrow. I selected a pair of rings wit...
The Mama Kat blog prompt option I'm doing today is, "Your Childhood Neighborhood." The trick is--back when I was growing up in rural Indiana camera's used film and personal computers didn't exist. I never imagined forty years later I might want pictures of the old homestead to load on a blog on a personal computer! Thank goodness for Google Earth! In order to screen print a couple views, I had to go to street level view and actually "drive" down the road until I found the proper location. Funny thing is: things don't look that much different from 70's, when I lived there, to 2009 when Google collected these images. A few more homes here and there, older trees, but pretty much the same. When I say rural, I mean rural. Here's a Google Earth shot of where I did my growing up: This house isn't actually the one I grew up in, though it stands on the same site. The original was one built by our Dad. It was ...
The Mama Kat prompt topic for today is: "Tell us about a job you quit...and why?" I suppose everyone has a job they've quit at some point. I quit mine after 17 years. I used to work for a local flower shop as a floral designer. When I was first hired, the manager was a woman named Millie. She's actually the one who trained me and she was a pretty good manager. She provided a strong sense of leadership, clear guidelines for everyone to follow, hosted feed-back/brain-storming sessions for her employees and was smart enough to have an assistant manager, so she didn't have to be there every minute. About 18 months later, Millie decided to retire and her assistant manager, Donna, took over as manager. Now the flower shop was actually owned by a Frenchman named Alain, who was a very savvy businessman. He just did the books, paid the bills and set the financial goals for the managers. Donna was a decent manager. She was there Monday through Friday...
T he Mama Kat writing challenge today is a "College Memory." After 4 years in the Air Force, I decided I was ready for college, so I was older then most of my fellow students, who were right out of high school. My first semester of college was in the fall 1980. The year John Lennon died. That alone sent a memorable wave of grief over the school population. I was enrolled in a 2-year Commercial Art program. It was a small country college. The class wasn't big. Maybe 20 students in my graphic art classes. I remember this one guy was obsessed with the band "KISS" and, anytime he could, he made them the center of his art. He was apparently great at drawing KISS; less great at anything else. My instructors were both commercial artists who'd worked in the field before becoming college teachers. Brad Rock was one of them. He was new that year. A blond, forty-ish guy taking on a room full of greenhorn artist wannabe's. One day that first semester,...
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!