Good Eating Monday: Italian Chicken

Sunday nights are a good night for me to try out Pinterest casserole recipes that serve a small crowd, since we have 4 or 5 people over for Bible Study weekly!
This week's dish is called, "Italian Chicken." 
It's baked in the oven, then served over spaghetti.

Now there are some things I did differently from the recipe:
#1) I doubled the recipe because I needed enough for seconds.

#2) I used thin-sliced chicken breasts instead of whole, boneless chicken breasts, because I didn't want to have to worry about my chicken not getting cooked through. 
Now thin-sliced chicken breasts are basically cut Scallopini-style, so each piece is only 1/4 inch thick. S
I either tri-folded them, if they were large, or single-folded them if they were smaller, so that way I could cook a dozen in my 9 x 13 pan. This made a nice size "chicken bundle" that cooked through and was easy to serve.
#3) I served my Italian Chicken "seasoned spaghetti" instead of plain, so I'll include directions for that, though you can use plain pasta.
The photos & recipe come from the original Pinterest source, so  whole boneless breasts are pictured.

Italian Chicken
Ingredients:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 -5 Roma tomatoes, chopped 
1 clove garlic, minced
1 6oz jar Artichoke Hearts 
A few Tablespoons olive oil as needed.
Salt & Pepper
2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning (or basil or oregano)
1 teaspoon sugar
2 Tablespoons Flour (to thicken juices)
1 to 1 1/2 cups Shredded Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, to taste 

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350. Spray a baking pan of suitable size with oil cooking spray & arrange your chicken in it. 
In a medium bowl combine  chopped tomatoes, drained Artichoke hearts, garlic, seasonings, sugar, flour and olive oil, then pour this over top of chicken.
Cover pan with foil for half the baking time, then remove for the rest. For last 5 minutes, remove pan from oven, top with Mozzarella cheese, then return to oven to melt cheese.
(Whole breasts may take a full hour to cook; thin-sliced breast folded in bundles takes 45 minutes.)
Serve over cooked Seasoned Spaghetti with garlic bread & salad.
(Seasoned Spaghetti recipe to follow)

Seasoned Spaghetti
Ingredients
Spaghetti or other style pasta of choice
3 - 4 Tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
1 clover garlic, minced
Generous amount of Italian Seasoning or Oregano or Basil shaken into spaghetti

Directions
Boil desired amount of pasta according to box directions, then drain and return to box.
Add butter, garlic and generous amount of Italian Seasoning to Spaghetti and stir into until well coated.
Spoon a serving onto plate; top with Italian Chicken.
****
This recipe was "yum," so I'll be adding it to my menu options as something to make regularly, especially during winter when oven cooking warms the house!
I added "olive oil" to the ingredients for Seasoned Spaghetti at my friend, Dee's, suggestion. Mainly, the goal is to keep the spaghetti from sticking to itself in a clump.



Comments

Dee D said…
Sounds yummy, especially for my quick and easy election night supper tomorrow. The only change I'd make for the pasta is olive oil in place of butter.

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects

The Imaginary Party Outfit for the Imaginary Party