Mama Kat Thursday: What Happened to My Rug?!

The Mama Kat I chose today is to, "share a recent purchase."  
Luckily, I happened to have made one.
It's actually got a weird, amusing back-story.
I have several braided rugs in my living room that are square red, blue & tan colored, like this one, pictured. One a large area rug, one is a 5 x 7 in the entry and two are 3 x 5.
 One of those 3 x 5's is in front of this sliding glass door, here.


We've had these rugs about 7 years now, since we had the floor redone.
Well, this past week, I decided to clean several of those rugs with 409 spray & vacuum rug cleaner. Once it dried, I vacuumed.
When I got to this rug in front of the sliding glass door, my Hoover vacuum suddenly snagged the rug's corner, sucking it up on the brush.
I turned off the vacuum to un-snag it and when I pulled it out, the braid on the corner was torn away. I cut it off, but on closer examination, I realized the whole corner on the underneath had hard, crusty, blackened places and looked a little like it's gotten overly hot. (It's synthetic)
I was appalled. I couldn't figure it out.
What happened to my rug? 
I quickly examined this rugs other corners and discovered they all looked like that to some degree. 
I was mystified. As far as I knew, this rug had been in front of this sliding glass door all it's life. The door faces West, so it does get a fair amount of sunlight and I thought maybe it was sun damaged?

When Hubby came home and we're talking about our day, I mentioned this oddity about the rug.
He said, "Oh, that was me."
I was surprised.
He said this rug used to be the one in the hallway in front of our bedroom and the vacuum kept snagging and grabbing it's corners, tugging them into the vacuum brush and damaging them on the bottom side. He said he switched it out with the rug by the sliding glass door 4 years ago, putting the nice undamaged rug in the hallway. He also said he was careful to try not to catch the corners.
"You didn't know?" he asked.
I laughed. "I had no idea. Here I was thinking it got damaged by the sun."
He laughed, I laughed. It was hilarious.
(You see, Hubby has been cleaning the floor and vacuuming the rugs as his job weekly when we clean house,since we got that new floor 7 years ago and I'm doing other tasks, so I really don't pay any attention to what he's doing.)

Since, I'd really put the finishing touches on ruining that rugs corner, I decided to go ahead and a replacement.
JC Penney's online is my go-to place for ordering braided rugs and this time of year is a good time to find sales on linens, curtains and household goods like that.
Rugs were on sale. And Penney's has a wide selection of braided rug patterns and colors--but nothing even close to the red/blue/tan Americana one like I already have. (Considering it's location, I would gone with something reasonably closed)
But it was not to be found.
So, I decided, since it's going by the sliding glass door anyway and the curtains there are brown, to go with this 3 x 5 chocolate brown braided rug:
I like it's not the traditional braided rug pattern. I got notice today it's shipped, so it should be here later this week.
The  old damaged braided rug will find new employment in front of the washer and dryer out in the garage, replacing the chunk of old carpet currently there.
So, that's my most recent purchase story.


Thanks for Visiting!

Comments

Astrid said…
Wow, t hat was definitely a hilarious situation! I hope the replacement rug satisfies you.
What a time you had of it! That's the thing I dislike most about getting matching things - sometimes you can't find the same thing to replace one with when it tears up/becomes damaged/etc. But you made a great choice I feel like will play nicely with the other rugs in the house!

Just here via Mama Kat's!

Kim
Cathy Kennedy said…
I hate replacing old things that I love because I can never find anything I feel equally happy over. We have several rugs in our house that need replacing but I'm not going to worry with this just yet as we really hope to make a move this year. That's proving to be a difficult task regarding home searches. Our criterias for our next home are fairly particular and we don't want to devate too far from these things. Hopefully, we'll get lucky and can make this dream a reality before the year end. I hope your new rugs don't give you grief when it comes to vacuuming. :)
KatBouska said…
That's hilarious that he had switched it so long ago! Mystery solved and lovely new rugs at the end of the day!

Popular posts from this blog

Mama Kat Prompt Thursday: 5 Comforting Things

Thursday Writers Prompt: Radio Memories

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Crafts!

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!